Add an extra little festive touch to your table with this crown centerpiece
So you’re done running around doing your Christmas shopping and your house now looks like Santa’s cave, why not add a little something special to your table this year? We show you how to make this simple yet effective crown centerpiece.
You will need:
• An oasis ring (we used a 12 inch one)
• Four candlesticks
• Four large candles
• 2-3 bunches of silver fir
• A few branches of holly and mistletoe
• 4 pine cones
1. Dip the oasis ring in water until the bubbles stop appearing. Do not press on it, as this can cause air bubbles to enter the oasis, producing dry spots – and unhappy plants!
2. Place the oasis on a flat surface, plastic side down. Insert the candles into the holders, space them evenly on the ring, then push firmly into place.
3. Cut the tree into 10 cm sections. Starting at the outer edge of the ring, push the fir branches into the oasis at a slight angle, making sure to maintain the same angle all around. When you are done, verify that the oasis is completely covered.
4. Repeat on top of the ring, placing the fir pieces around the candles, but making sure they are not too close to the wicks, otherwise they could present a fire hazard.
5. When the ring is covered with fir, decorate it evenly with sprigs of holly and mistletoe. Then add the pine cones so that they are nestled in the middle of the leaves.
6. Light the candles ready for your Christmas dinner. Just watch out for open flames when there are young children around or when reaching out over the table for the cranberry sauce!
For more DIY ideas, why not check out our savings page?
This How To article was featured in The Sunday People’s Love Sunday magazine.